Smoky Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup
SMOKY CHICKEN TORTILLA-LESS SOUP
prep time: 30 minutes | cook time: 45 minutes | yield: 4 servings
gluten-free • dairy-free • egg-free • sugar-free
· 2 tablespoon coconut oil or bacon fat
· 1 small onion, diced
· 2 carrots, diced
· 2 stalks celery, diced
· 1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, and diced (see Kitchen Tip)
· sea salt and black pepper to taste
· 2 teaspoons ground cumin
· 2 teaspoons ground coriander
· 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
· 7 ounces tomato paste
· 1 quart Bone Broth (chicken or beef)
· 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and shredded
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
· 1 avocado, sliced
1. In a large soup pot, melt the coconut oil or bacon fat over medium heat. Put the onion in the pot and cook until it becomes translucent and the edges begin to brown. Add the bell pepper carrots, celery, roasted poblano pepper salt, and pepper to taste. Add the cumin, coriander, and chipotle powder and stir until well combined. Cook for a few more minutes until the vegetables are soft.
2. Stir in the tomato paste and bone broth and season with salt and pepper again if needed. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the flavors are well combined. When the soup is nearly done, add the cooked chicken to the put just to heat it all the way through. Taste once more and adjust the seasoning if needed.
3. Serve garnished with the cilantro and avocado slices, if desired.
To roast the poblano pepper, simply place the whole pepper over a low, open gas flame directly on the grate, turning regularly with tongs until the skin is blackened on all sides. Place the pepper in a bowl, cover, and set aside for a few minutes. Then gently remove the blackened skin with your hands. If the pepper is still very hot to the touch, you may run it under some warm water while you remove the blackened skin, but this may weaken the flavor of the pepper slightly, so waiting for it to cool just enough to handle is ideal. Use the seeds if you like; poblanos aren't known for being super hot.