Kale Grapefruit Salad C/O The Defined Dish
By: Kristi Goode
FOR THE APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE:
· 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
· 1 tsp Dijon mustard
· 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
· ¼ tsp smoked paprika
· ½ tsp kosher salt
· ½ tsp black pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
· 1 head lacinato kale stem removed and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
· 1 honey crisp apple thinly sliced and halved
· ½ cup dry roasted and salted almonds, roughly chopped
· 1 grapefruit cut into slices
· ½ cup grated aged cheddar cheese
1. Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar and shake well, or in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey or maple syrup, smoked paprika, salt and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the kale, apple and almonds. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until well coated and the kale has slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the grapefruit and the grated cheddar and gently toss once more.
4. Serve with a protein such as salmon or grilled chicken.