HH Chicken, Quinoa & Sweet Potato Casserole c/o Eating Well
4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
2 cups chopped seeded poblano chiles
½ cup thinly sliced shallots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups unsalted chicken broth
1 ½ cups multicolored quinoa
⅓ cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup crumbled queso fresco
¼ cup fresh cilantro
· Step 1
· Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
· Step 2
· Place sweet potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; pierce a few holes in the top with a fork. Microwave on High for 4 minutes.
· Step 3
· Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 1-inch strips.
· Step 4
· Add poblanos, shallots and garlic to the pan and cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add broth, quinoa, wine, salt, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the sweet potatoes and chicken.
· Step 5
· Spoon the mixture into a 7-by-11-inch (or similar-size) broiler-proof baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
· Step 6
· Remove from oven; increase oven temperature to broil. Uncover the casserole and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 8 inches from the heat source until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.